What is branding, especially for a medical practice? The American Marketing Association defines a brand as a feature that identifies products or service as distinct from others. When it comes to branding your practice, think about what makes you different and unique from other plastic surgeons or medical spas.
Branding Tips for Doctors
- Use your practice name and logo consistently in all communications. If you are a plastic surgery practice with multiple doctors, you will have a practice brand. You, as a doctor, also have a brand. You may have a practice brand and a medical spa brand. Or, you may combine brands if you are in solo practice. While there are many different approaches to branding, consistent use is vital to recognition.
- A logo design is one of the physical elements of your brand. It may include a graphic, a special font, color, your practice name or a combination of all. Your logo is used on everything in your practice: business cards, websites, social media, reception area, emails, etc. If you and your staff wear the same apparel, your logo should be on it.
- Identify your strengths and what differentiates you from your competition. If you aren’t sure how to get started, check out these SWOT questions. Share your strengths in blogs, pictures, social media posts, eblasts, specials, etc.
- Establish a brand voice. A short tagline can communicate the overarching message for your practice. A medical spa may use a more service-oriented voice while a plastic surgeon may be more professional. Either way, you want to establish yourself as an authority in a conversational tone.
- Ask vendors and patients for online reviews, especially for your key services. This helps substantiate your messages. In addition, most potential patients read reviews before making a consultation appointment.
It’s challenging to keep an objective approach when branding your practice. Is your staff communicating the right message? Are you approachable? What does your brand signal to others? If your brand isn’t bringing patients in the door, contact PUMC for an analysis. We help your brand shine.