Google constantly changes their algorithm, so it came as no surprise when they announced mobile-friendly change. On April 21st, Google’s search algorithm will give prominence to mobile-friendly websites. If you attended our briefing today, you already know that you stand to lose up to 50% of your website traffic if your website hasn’t earned the “mobile-friendly” label. Below is a recap for those who missed our briefing.
Mobile-Friendly Website Elements
When Google’s search algorithm changes on April 21, it will focus on specific website elements. If you are one of the 80% of mobile device users on Internet, these elements will make perfect sense to you. For example:
- Flash doesn’t play well on smart phones and tablets. Mobile-friendly websites must not rely on Flash.
- Link buttons require space between them for ease of touch.
- Content cannot be wider than the screen on smart phones and tablets. Ideally, content is sized to screens so users don’t have to scroll horizontally or zoom.
- Text fonts scale for easy reading and do not require zooming.
- Optimize mobile load time because slow load time has negative impact on search results
Your options for a mobile-friendly website include: a derivative mobile site, a custom-designed derivative mobile site or a stand-alone mobile site that is maintained separately from your desktop website.
Google offers a free test and improvement suggestions for website owners. Test your website at https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/.
Make sure that your website is mobile-ready by April 21st to boost your search results. You’ll also be able to take advantage of the many benefits that mobile sites offer, including click-to-call and better analytics.
A well-optimized mobile website makes it easy for your current and potential patients to find your plastic surgery facility and/or medical spa. Your information will be available to those on the go, researching options or just scanning topics. A mobile-friendly website ensures that your content is available where and when potential patients are looking.
The “mobile-friendly” payoff just got bigger. If you need help in the mobile SEO Internet world, contact our PUMC experts for a free consultation. We can help you create the right elements to earn your mobile-friendly website label.