A BIA/Kelsey study shows online reviews guide almost 97% of consumers when purchasing products or services. Think about how you really use online reviews for your purchases. As Wall Street Journal points out, research shows some surprising ways that we use reviews. Let’s take a closer look.
Use Online Reviews
A thoughtful 4-star review typically has more influence than a vague 5-star review. Why? If a review has details that help you relate to the product or service, you are more likely to take action. For example:
- Vague 5-Star Review: “Very satisfied with the doctor, results and highly recommend.”
- Thoughtful 4-Star Review: “Dr. X performed liposuction on my abdomen following the birth of my two children. I tried other methods and procedures, and nothing worked. This time, I’m thrilled with my results. X and staff have a great bedside manner and followed up with me at home after my procedure. I highly recommend this practice.”
While these examples convey the same overall message, people relate more to the 4-star review. It has details about the procedure, past failures and doctor/staff follow up.
Take-Away: When requesting reviews, ask your patients to include the procedure name and how they feel about the results if they are comfortable doing so. Be cognizant that not all patients wish to reveal that they have had cosmetic procedures.
How Patients Find Reviews
Whether or not you have claimed your review sites, every medical spa and plastic surgeon has multiple review sites. Make it easy for patients to find and use online reviews by choosing a website/review service that links review access to every page on your website. You can’t control where your reviews are read. Thus, website page links help your current and potential patients find your reviews easily.
Take-away: Check for the features below.
- Display your overall review rating that links to your reviews on every page of your website.
- Aggregate your reviews (with link to full review) on a page within your website so patients can easily find you.
- Automatically display reviews in social media.
- Monitor and notify you of online reviews for response and follow up.
Today, you need to make your online reviews work for your practice. It is vital to reaching potential patients. Take action, whether you do it manually or engage an online review agency. Need help for your potential patients’ online reviews for your practice? Contact PUMC for an evaluation and ways you can manage your online reviews.